Greetings students, families, and educators,
Thank you for your interest in the 2013 Menuhin-Dowling Competition! The prestigious Menuhin-Dowling Competition recognizes and encourages youth achievement in classical music. By celebrating advanced musical knowledge and ability, the Menuhin-Dowling Competition seeks to foster a growing appreciation of instrumental excellence.
Competition: Sunday, January 27, 2013
Winners Performance: Sunday, February 24, 2013, 5 pm
The Nueva School
- Students from all area schools are welcome to participate, including students from Nueva.
- No judge will assess his or her own student. While the competition is open to Nueva students, all judges will independent and not empoloyed by Nueva.
- In addition to our string and piano competition, the competition now includes an ensemble and composition category.
- There is a $40-fee for each competing student.
- Performance at the culminating Winners Recital on Sunday, February 26, 2012, at the Nueva School.
- $100-prize for each category winner, and $100 for each member of the winning ensemble.
- Second and third runner up receive class tuition for one fall 2011 Nueva Enrichment course, a value of $300–$500.
- Certificates of achievement for top three in each category.
- PIANO: ages 9-10, 11-12, and 13-14
- STRINGS: ages 9-11 and 12-14
- ENSEMBLES: duo to quartet, ages 11-14
- COMPOSITION: ages 11-14
- All soloists and ensembles will perform two contrasting pieces. One must be from the baroque or classical period (approximately 1750-1825).
- Music must be memorized. Music scores will be presented to the judges. Photocopies are not allowed due to copyright restrictions.
- Eight minute total time limit per contestant/ensemble. If combined pieces are longer than eight minutes, please play excerpts. One piece must be played in its entirety.
- Piano contestants: no concertos.
- String players must provide their own accompanist who is not a relative or teacher as this is a closed competition to the general public.
- All decisions of the judges will be final.
- All judge’s comments will be mailed directly to the contestant's teacher.
- By entering this competition, contestants agree to be available on Sunday, February 24, 2013 at 5:00 pm to perform, should they be one of the awardees.
Registration must be completed by Monday, January 21, 2013. Contestants will be notified of their audition time one week in advance of the competition.
In addition to filling out the online registration, please mail in two original scores with recordings to:
Director of Music, The Nueva School
6565 Skyline Blvd
Hillsborough, CA 94010-6221
Please submit two contrasting original compositions, max time of 8 minutes. (Excerpts from longer compositions accepted.)
Deadline for score/recording submission is January 21.
Those competing in the composition category will not need to be present on the competition day. The composition winners will be notified with the other category winners, and will perform an original composition on the February 24 Culminating Performance.
For ensemble participants, please designate one ensemble member to fill out the registration information and pay entrance fees. Each member of an ensemble must pay the $40.00 entrance fee.
For more information and to apply, please go to our secure registration page.